Sour plum (or rosella) ice cream with meringue
Method without ice cream maker.
[Borrowed from http://savannabel.com/]
- 450ml double cream
- 150ml whole milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 65g caster sugar
- 1 cup sour plum syrup
- 6 egg whites (at room temperature)
- pinch of salt
- 300g caster sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Ingredients for the ice-cream:
Ingredients for the meringues:
- Put an ice-cream container and metal mixing bowl in the freezer.
- Pour the cream and milk in a pan and place over medium heat. Gently bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, and then remove from the heat. Set aside.
- While the cream and milk is heating up, beat the egg yolks and sugar together in a bowl until the mixture turns pale and thick.
- Slowly pour the hot creamy milk over the egg yolk mixture, whisking as you do so.
- Return the custard to the saucepan and place over a very low heat. Stir gently in a figure of eight, moving all around the saucepan, until the custard thickens, about 6 to 8 minutes. *Controlled heat is essential at this stage because the custard will quickly turn to scrambled egg if the heat is too high. The custard should be thick enough to lightly coat the back of a wooden spoon, and draw a line through the middle leaving a clear trace.
- As soon as the custard has thickened, remove from the heat, pour into the pre-cooled metal bowl and return to the freezer for a few minutes. Don’t leave it in the saucepan, as the heat of the pan will continue to cook the custard.
- When the custard is cool, whisk in the sour plum syrup, ensuring it is well-combined.
- Pour the mixture in a freezer-friendly container and place in the freezer.
- After 45 min, as it starts to freeze near the edges, remove it from the freezer and stir it vigorously with a spatula or whisk. Really beat it up and break up any frozen parts. Return to freezer.
- Continue to stir vigorously as it is freezing, every 30 min or so, until the ice-cream is frozen (likely 2-3 hours). You can use a hand-held mixer or stick-blender, or a spatula or strong whisk.
- While the ice-cream is being made, preheat the oven to 150°C. Line a baking tray, and lightly grease with oil.
- Place the egg whites in a metal bowl with a pinch of salt. Using an electric mixer start beating the egg whites, slowly at first. Once they have begun to froth a little increase your speed and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Add the sugar, a heaped spoonful at a time, beating after each addition. When finished add the vanilla extract and beat one last time.
- Transfer the meringue into a piping bag with a fluted nozzle. Pipe the meringues into shapes of your choice. Be sure to leave enough space for each meringue to expand.
- Place in the middle of the oven and immediately lower the oven setting to 120°C. Cook for 45 min, then turn off the oven and leave the meringues inside to cool completely.
Directions for ice cream:
Directions for meringue:
When ready to serve, arrange one of the meringues with a scoop of sour plum ice-cream!