- 1 cup dried rosella flowers
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1.5 tbsp fresh lemon or lime juice
- Boil 4 cups of water. Reserve the 5th cup for the 2nd part of the recipe.
- Rinse the rosella flowers under cold running water to clean from dirt or dust.
- Once the water reaches boiling point, add the rosella flowers and turn off the heat. Let steep for 15-20 minutes.
- Once cooled down to room temperature, refrigerate for 6-8 hrs.
- Mix the sugar with the remaining cup of very hot water over low heat until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Cook over medium/ high heat for EXACTLY 7 minutes. Do not stir during this step.
- Turn off the heat after cooking for 7 minutes. Allow to cool and reach room temperature.
- Measure out 1 cup of the syrup and place in a bowl.
- Add 2 cups of the chilled rosella "tea" to the syrup. Be sure to strain the tea before adding.
- Add the fresh lime/ lemon juice.
- Pour the mixture in a strong plastic container and put in the freezer. After 1 hr (1.5 hrs) it should have frozen round the edges. Take it out and beat vigorously with a fork, electric whisk or in a food processor until you have a uniformly textured mixture. Return it to the freezer and repeat at least twice more every hour (1.5 hrs), then freeze for at least another hour.